We love sharing what we know, so here’s some
information we think you’ll find useful.
Sapphire Jewellery Guide
- Sapphires are precious gemstones formed from the mineral Corundum.
- Sapphires are found in a wide spectrum of colours, from Pink to Yellow, Green and Orange.
- The presence of different elements in Corundum gives Sapphires their colour.
- It is these colours which make Sapphires popular gemstones in a variety of jewellery across the ages.
- 'Red Sapphires' are called Rubies.
- Sapphires are the second hardest material after Diamond.
The Queen of Sheba and Helen of Troy are both said to have been the owners of magnificent Star Sapphires and Murghal emperors, Kings and Popes have all been the proud and infamous owner of this most coveted of jewels. A 337 carat Sapphire was once owned by Catherine the Great of Russia and remained as part of the Romanov jewels until word War I. Hollywood legend Jean Harlow was given a 150 carat Sapphire engagement ring by William Powell and was a keen collector of large Sapphires as were Joan Crawford and Elizabeth Taylor.
One of the most famous engagement rings in the world must be the ring given to Kate Middleton upon her engagement to Prince William in 2010; a huge Sapphire engagement ring once belonging to William’s late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales.
The Sapphire and Diamond ring was created by British jewellers, Garrard in 1980, personally selected by Prince Charles after he consulted the Queen and was presented to the late Diana, Princess of Wales, the Lady Diana Spencer, upon her engagement to Prince Charles at Buckingham Palace in February 1981.
Sapphires as a gemstone
Sapphires are valued on the purity of their colour. Hues of, purple, violet and green hues can be found in Blue Sapphires, Pink Sapphires can be any colour from a light red to almost lavender. Sapphire jewellery can also be found in shades of green, yellow and orange.
- Sapphires are commonly given as gifts to celebrate a 45th wedding anniversary.
- Sapphire is the birthstone for September so make a perfect gift for anyone born in the month.