How do you clean diamonds?
There’s no harm in giving your diamond jewellery a quick wipe with a soft cotton cloth every time you wear it. It’ll wipe away some of the build-up and clean the table and top facets of your diamond, but probably won’t get underneath where grime can still affect the sparkle. Soap and water is still the best diamond cleaning method. Before you start, however, check your jewellery’s setting is secure – if the diamond can move, do not proceed with cleaning, and take your jewellery to a jeweller for fixing and cleaning. If your jewellery is secure, you can follow these steps:
- Add a few drops of gentle dishwashing liquid to a bowl of lukewarm water.
- Soak each piece separately in the solution for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl and gently scrub using a soft-bristled toothbrush – one that you only use for this purpose.
- Rinse well in clean, lukewarm water to get rid of residue.
- Leave to air dry in a safe place or dry with a lint-free cloth to avoid any pieces of thread sticking to your jewellery.
It's a good idea to give your jewellery a professional clean once a year, and at Vashi, we offer this as part of our Complimentary Care aftercare service.